Unfiled Tax Returns

Behind in Filing Tax Returns? Let Us Help Settle Your Unfiled Taxes

Many of our clients come to us with unfiled tax returns.

It’s not uncommon for taxpayers to avoid filing tax returns because they know they’ll owe more than they can afford to pay. In other cases, missing records, divorce, death of a spouse, death of their tax preparer, or serious illness can lead to failure to file. Others aren’t sure if (or how) they should report certain income, so they don’t file at all. Still other folks don’t file for political reasons.

We’ve seen it all, and this is for certain: one year of unfiled taxes tends to swell into several, even for the most well-intentioned taxpayers.

Whatever a person’s reason for getting behind, it’s important to note that regardless of whether you owe more taxes than you can pay or you expect refunds, getting current with unfiled tax returns—and filing on time going forward—is in your best financial and legal interest in the short and long term.

You should consult a tax resolution professional if you didn’t file because you can’t afford to pay expected back taxes or if you are concerned about unreported income on your tax returns.

We can advise you on the best course of action and assist you in amending any tax returns or making arrangements for any outstanding balances due. At Lothamer, we will not file any delinquent tax return without 1) helping you decide whether to file Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate, 2) completing all missing tax returns, and 3) knowing what the best resolution would be once all returns are prepared before filing any one return.

Click Here To View Some of The Excellent Settlements We've Helped Clients Obtain

If the IRS has already calculated what they believe you should pay for years that you have not filed, our tax negotiation services can often overturn these inflated balances. Look at our results for such inflated balances (SFRs). We will also assess whether you qualify for the IRS Offer in Compromise Settlement, in which you are allowed to pay the IRS a reduced lump sum to settle your tax burden. If the IRS has not yet assessed you anything for your unfiled returns, it is better to take action before the IRS estimates a balance due and begins enforcement against you.

On the other hand, if you think you are owed a refund you should take action immediately. It’s always sad when we file five or six years of back tax returns and discover that thousands of dollars in tax refunds were left on the table (refunds can expire if they haven’t been timely claimed.)

If you need assistance with unfiled returns, or deciding how to file, please contact us at (877) 829-2455 to schedule a initial consultation.

eResolution™ Client Portal

eResolution™Center users gain 24/7 access to their case and receive one-on-one access to their case manager and a team of tax professionals.